Wednesday, March 2, 2016

A year after Diagnosis!

Things look positive for me.  I'm in remission February 2016 was my 9th month since completing Radiation.  I have my days when things don't seem right, but I'm doing good.  My mammogram and ultrasound looked good this time, I don't have to go back to the Radiation oncologist for a year now.  I do see my other oncologist in four months, but things are really looking up.  This last year was pretty tough.

On June 28, 2015, my oldest sister was diagnosed with breast cancer,  by the time it was caught it had spread through her lymph nodes into her colon and 3 spots on her brain (one of those was on her brain stem).  She passed away on September 15, 2015.

Got guardianship of my dad on November 9th and now the next phase begins.  It's been a tough year. I don't know whether my dad really understands that my mom passed away almost 2 years ago and my sister is gone, but I do know that he's hanging in there the best he can.  I don't think he remembers most of us.  He seems to know who we are for a space of time and then he switches gears and goes somewhere else in his mind.  The nurses at the care center say he seems to be reliving his teenage years. He's quite the ladies man.  He has a few older ladies that he sits with for meals and occasionally reads the newspaper to them, although the stories aren't really what's in the newspaper.  Some of it he actually reads, but he makes up the rest as he goes along.  It was fun to watch him from afar.  That day I don't think he knew who I was, he recognized my daughter though.  It breaks my heart that he is so far away.  I know that he'll never be the same, but I love him so much.  I just wish I could bring him home.

No comments:

Post a Comment