Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Sting of Finding out you have breast cancer!

Actually the journey began with my yearly mammogram.  Not intimidating at first, then when they called me back for a second mammogram, okay a little more intimidating but I can handle it.  I got called back last year and they came to the final decision, it was just tissue.  Except this time, after I did the second mammogram they told me to wait in the waiting room until the pathologist looked at it, then the technician came back and said, we need to do another mammogram at a different angle and you may need an ultra sound, I'm thinking, three of them, something must be up.  So again they sent me to the waiting room until the technician came back to tell me we need an ultra-sound, okay things are getting pretty intimidating now, I knew something was up when they want to run more tests.

After the ultra-sound the pathologist and Diagnostic care coordinator told me that there was indeed a lump and that I would need to have a biopsy done. Okay 80% of these test come back benign, so the odds are still good.  When they did the biopsy they told me it would probably be midweek by the time we got the test back, so I figured no big deal it's all protocol. No, they called us on Monday, not 3 working days later but 3 exact days later.  When my doctor called all he said was "you have breast cancer and need to meet with the surgeon.  He didn't know any other information, he asked me if I knew any surgeons I wanted to do the procedure and because I didn't he called one for me, we visited with the surgeon, Dr. Harker, on Tuesday and scheduled a  lumpectomy for January 23, 2015.  So now the real adventure begins. It's so surreal, it still doesn't seem possible.

We'll know more midweek after the lumpectomy.  The blessing I have been given has been one of great comfort and peace through this whole process.  I know the Lord is with me and he's watching out for me. I know that he will be there for me through the process and that he will help me more than I could ever help myself.  I'm am blessed with a wonderful family, ward family and lots of friends.  I will make it through this, one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment