Tuesday, March 24, 2015

So Grateful for the Huntsman Cancer Center, for Clinical trials and options!

Went to Huntsman March 23, 2015, met with Dr. Hung Khong to discuss my options.  My Oncoytype DX, recurrence Score was 13,  under 25 which is good.  We discussed the MRI that I had taken about a week and a half earlier, everything looked good, other than a couple of my lymph nodes looked a little swollen but that could have been because of surgery, but the Radiation Therapy I will be receiving will kill any cancer cells in that area.

I decided after much prayer, fasting and exploring my options that I wanted to just do radiation therapy and endocrine therapy.  We found out after speaking with the Doctor that the only way I could get that option was to put myself into the second stage of the clinical trial. I let the computer pick, with a prayer in my heart that all I would have to do is Radiation therapy and endocrine therapy, if that was what was right, that is what the computer picked. NO CHEMO!  I feel really good about it.

I am so grateful for the Lord and the gospel in my life, for the guidance I feel.  It's not always easy to look at a disease that could ultimate take your life, lightly. Not that I've been taking it lightly, but I just felt in my heart that it would be alright.  It's been a long 12 weeks since we found out I had breast cancer and the process has not been an easy one.  I know many in my family wanted me to just go homeopathic, there may be benefits, but I also found some research that showed it may not be totally effective.  In praying and speaking with my husband and my children we felt that this was the option that would be safest for me and give us the peace of mind. I know Jim isn't 100 percent sure he likes this, but I have faith that all will be well.

They will monitor me over the next two years, every three to four months, after my treatment is finished I will have a physical and then I believe it was every six months after that for three more years and from there I'll be back to yearly visits.  It's a process  I'll be on the road for the next six weeks for my daily dose of radiation, but it is well worth the time. I could get treatment closer to home, but just felt impressed to go the Huntsman for a second opinion.  I just feel better about the care I will receive there.  I would not have had the opportunity to be included in the clinical study if I hadn't gone there.  I would"ve already been doing chemo and enduring what ever would have been in my path.

With this clinical trial, they can pull me at any time if things are not working, if I need more care.  I can stop at anytime also, if I feel that I don't want to do it any more.  I do feel that everything will be fine.  I'm blessed to be in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment